Tuesday, January 21, 2014

cauliflower pizza:


Pizza

I love pizza. All kinds of it too! deep dish, thin crust...you name it, I like it. There's just something about the dough and toppings that make it OH so good. The sad part is it's not all that good for you. I use eat Pizza Hut, ALL THE TIME. I would have 4 to 5 slices of pizza. Each slice is about 360 calories, that is a total of 1,800 calories if I had 5 slices and 1,440 if I had 4. Crazy right? I currently average 1,400 for an ENTIRE DAY! Well, this beauty above only has 382 calories for the entire personal size pizza! The crust is made of a mixture of ingredients but the major ingredient is....cauliflower! what? cauliflower pizza? yup! mine tasted SO good. It might be because I haven't had pizza in a while that it brought back flavors or that it really is good. I will take the second option. So go ahead, make this pizza with your fiance as I did or have a 'Pizza Making Night' with your family!

**ps: for all you non dairy folks you can subsitute the cheese with nutritional yeast or daiya cheese. we used low fat mozerella. ***pps: I only sprinkled lightly with parmesean (about 1 tablespoon) on top, and used laughing cow light cheese (1 wedge is 35 calories) for an extra kick.

You will need:

1 medium sized head of cauliflower

Handful of mozerella

Handful of parmesean

1 egg

Oregano, basil, pepper, sea salt.

Any toppings you would like! (we used turkey pepperoni)

Marinara sauce or pasta sauce
 
How it is done:

Step 1: Preheat your oven to 450F

Step 2: Blend/process your cauliflower (cut them first so they are easier to blend). I used my nurtibullet and it worked great! Blend until it looks like wet puffy snow.

Pizza

Step 3: Microwave for 4 minutes (covered)

Step 4: It will be hot! (use caution!!) transfer to a kitchen towel and let it sit for about 5 minutes or until you can stand the hotness. Squeeze out excess water.

Step 5: Transfer to another clean kitchen towel and squeeze some more (I let Richard do the last round).

Step 6: Put cauliflower into a bowl and mix in egg, cheeses, and spices, I dont sprinkle spices, I pour! Be generous. (I used my hands to mix)

Step 7: You can form one big ball, or 2 smalls or 3 very small balls (toddler pizza's)

Step 8: Place ball on a cookie sheet with sprayed with cooking spray and form a circle (or whatever shape you want your crust to be) Richard made a rectangle and it looked like a pizza boat).

Step 9: Put your master piece into the oven and let it cook for 15 minutes (the edges will become crisp)

Step 10: Once the crust is sort of "crispy" put your sauce and toppings (this is the fun part)

Pizza

Step 11: Put in back in the oven for an additional 8-10 minutes (or until your cheese melts)

Step 12: EAT UP!

Pizza

We might be making pizza more often around here....it was so good!
 
 
xoxo Yessenia

No comments:

Post a Comment