Monday, January 20, 2014

Healthy Granola Rolls:



Hello there!

I am still on my lifestyle change. I surprise myself because now it is really easy! However, we went to the grocery store yesterday and I wanted something from the sweets isle. Please tell me why Sprouts puts chocolate in open containers....people can buy chocolate by the POUND. Let me tell you, I wanted to be one of those people. I got home with the urge to have some chocolate! So I searched some granola recipes. Have you ever had a cliff bar? Kind of like that. Those always cure my sweet tooth. All the recipes I saw had butter, honey, sugar, and other ingredients that I don't like having. So I came up with my own! This recipe is dairy free! Meaning, my niece who is vegan can enjoy :)

You will need: 

2.5 cups of old fashioned rolled oats

1/3 cups of agave (or any kind of sweetener)

1/4 cups of coconut oil

1/4 cups of brown sugar (optional)

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 tsp kosher salt

1/2 chopped almonds (I didn't chop mine, but suggest you do!)

handful of dried cranberries or raisins, or BOTH!

and if you don't want these to be vegan you can add chocolate chips!

Step 1: 

Toast your oats and almonds on a pan, low heat (until they are light brown...you will smell it)

Step 2: 

Heat agave, coconut oil, brown sugar, vanilla extract and kosher salt. (until everything dissolves)

Step 3: mix your oats/almonds with your warm liquid (let it sit for 20 minutes)

Step 4: place your mixture on top of a cookie sheet (parchment paper recommended) If you only have aluminum foil spray with cooking spray.

Step 5: Once everything is cool add in your cranberries and chocolate chips (if you are adding any)

Step 6: Spread over your cookie sheet

Step 7: Let it cool for about an hour.



I found that since my recipe does not use butter, the "bars" had a hard time staying together so I made mine into ROLLS! I squished the mixture (after it had dried) and made rolls.




This is also a fun recipe to do with your kiddos since they can see how things are made!

Enjoy

xoxo Yessenia

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! How many calories would you estimate for a batch? I'm trying to maintain lower calories too.

    ReplyDelete